Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Free-form gems in ready-to-wear

Free-form aquamarine chunks wrapped in black rhodium vermeil and further embellished with blue-green sapphires and amethysts.

Available at Colette @ The Forum, Singapore.

For more information, please e-mail us at info@chooyilin.com



JP, my mentor, has been in the jewellery industry for over 34 years. He's worked as a bench jeweller, traded gems, owned his own production factory and has basically been in virtually aspect of the jewellery industry.

One of the things he constantly berates me for, in my journey of building a high-end artisanal brand, is the fact that I keep on using free-form gems. Stones that were cut according to the lapidary artisan's whim and fancy and didn't follow any callibrated sizing. "Yilin", he tells me in a heavy French accent, "this is not acceptable in a ready-to-wear collection."

He makes sense of course, as the lack of replicability is untenable in the long run when the label expands its ready-to-wear line in the near future. However, in the meantime, I'm going to do these pieces as and when I can. In future, these stones will have to be reserved solely for bespoke orders.


No comments: