Monday, November 11, 2013

Project Peranakan Olympics from M's eyes


We published the story of M & K with Project Peranakan Olympics in an earlier post and now we share with you the engagement story from the eyes of M.

After years of fun-filled times and adventures, M and K knew that they were ready for the next stage of their lives together although there was the slight problem of geography. You see M had just moved to London to work on the Olympic Games whilst K remained back in Australia holding up the fort for the months they were to be apart. Not an ideal situation to plan a proposal and hunt for engagement ring but one that required a dedicated team, which could not only work around these challenges, but also produce a spectacular result to ensure success. That’s why M called approached Choo Yilin Artisan Jewellery.

I am M and this is my story of a Choo Yilin’s bespoke heirloon jewellery project of Olympic proportions… literally!"

It was only a few weeks into our relationship that K pulled me aside to show me some eye-catching jewellery pieces she had seen by Choo Yilin Artisan Jewellery. She admired the way they were able to use traditional elements such as sapphires and diamonds to produce some unique yet very wearable modern interpretations. Being a guy (sorry dudes for the stereotype, but it’s true), I simply nodded and pretended to know what she was saying when I was really thinking intently about what we were having for dinner that evening. Nonetheless, the name “Choo Yilin” did stick with me and when the time came to get our engagement ring developed, I knew they were the team to produce what I wanted – a ring that was modern and unique that not only paid homage to K’s Singaporean and Perankan heritage, but also told a story of us, our relationship and our future.

I had zero knowledge of how or what was involved in producing an engagement ring (not like I had done this before). From the outset, the Choo Yilin team were not only professional but also actually made the process fun! Initially making contact via email, given our restrictions around geography with the team being in Asia and myself in London, they were very accommodating. Through a series of emails and Skype sessions, they took the time to understand the relationship between K and I, before we even talked about the ring. I think this extra level of caring for their customers and deep understanding not only made me feel more comfortable in the process but made the eventual design truly reflective of K and I.

Working through my ideal sapphire cuts and colours for the project (who knew there was more than one colour option of sapphires??), the Choo Yilin team began the search for the stone. I knew that K would love for the stone to come from a sustainable mine and I definitely loved that it would fall within the budget I had set! Once we found and decided on the sapphire, the process rolled on with the project team talking me through various inspirations on the ring design. They worked with me closely and listening to my input, which I felt was very important, together as a team we were about to produce a ring design, which we all felt would knock K’s Peranakan socks off! Even having this design produced in a wax rendered model was great as it then felt tangible and real. Finally we gave it the go ahead and the engagement ring was produced.

With a little help from a nice carrier pigeon, the Choo Yilin Artisan Jewellery engagement ring for K arrived in London just in time for the proposal. Opening the Choo Yilin box for the first time, it felt surreal to have the result of the sapphire search, the designs, the wax rendering, all the hard work of the project team encapsulated in this tiny engagement ring. But the result was beyond anything I had hoped.

Two weeks later, when K and I reunited and were travelling through Europe, I popped the question to K in Tuscany. Actually, I made her dig up the ring box during a truffle hunt and the first thing she noticed was the Choo Yilin Artisan Jewellery box. Reflecting back on those first few weeks of our relationship, it felt right that she first noticed that. Opening the box, her hands were shaking – she knew what was in there. Staring back at her was a priceless engagement ring that not only showed to her how much I cared for her but also honoured her Singaporean and Perankan roots whilst looking forward into our future together. Getting down on one knee, I can gladly report that she said “yes!” with the team at Choo Yilin Artisan Jewellery playing apart in making both K and I so happy that we had found each other and excited for the journey together we had ahead of us.

I can’t thank the team at Choo Yilin Artisan Jewellery enough for helping a young man with zero knowledge on what or how, produce an engagement ring beyond expectations. Now hmmmm… what should I have for dinner??

Get the latest updates on Instagram. View the full behind-the-scenes images of Project Peranakan Olympics on Facebook.

No comments: